Our trip was an eye opener for many reasons. Here are some of the things I found out while away…
- All the planning and organising in the world is no match for Mother Nature. In January we dealt with 40degrees in a tent, this time round was gale force winds.
- Alex is a flirt! Every waitress or shop assistant we came across got the full brunt of his charm… and they were putty in his hands!
- I think kids and piers should stay clear of each other. I have a not-so irrational fear of my children doing something silly and falling into the deep, black ocean. I’m a confident swimmer and would dive in to save them, but I’m not confident enough in the kids’ skills to feel calm while wandering along a jetty.
- I know way too many HI-5 songs.
- Driving through miles and miles of lush, green farmland has concreted my desire for an acreage. The rolling hills, scrubland full of ghost-gums and gorgeous farm houses are my dream. Sadly, these quaint dwellings are always so far out of even the smallest of towns, and since I also crave late night access to shops and doctors clinics, I think this is on the back burner for quite a while.
- I find it hard to switch off and relax. I need to learn how to just be.
- Alex discovered pay phones! Every time we passed one, he shout loudly “that’s for when your iPhone is broken”!
- My kids are tired criers. Once fatigue hits, the tears start over the smallest of things.
- Holidays are a great way to overlook all the things that annoy me about our house, coz in the end…There’s no place like home!